IT’S TIME to SPEAK UP! Fleet expansion and operations increase at NAS WI raises a number of questions and concerns from our communities across the Puget Sound. It takes focused and consistent efforts to reach our officials who can help us reach out to the US Navy and the Department of Defense. This page outlines simple steps you can take to do your part.
10 Things You Can Do Right Now
1. Contact your local, state and federal elected officials to require real-time noise monitoring in all communities impacted by the Electronic Attack, EA-18G, training flights. Congress has the ability to impose this requirement and to make the raw data available to the public so independent analysis can be performed. This provision is being considered NOW in congressional committees. Speak out NOW!
2. Download the National Parks Conservation Association Growler Tracker App and help build a map of everywhere the Growlers can be heard throughout Olympic National Park. Another great tool for tracking Growler activity around your home, work or adventures in nature is Decibel X, available in the App Store. Post your screen shots on social media and tag Sound Defense Alliance.
3. Click HERE to sign our petition, demanding that our elected officials represent our community by taking our concerns to the Department of Defense – No New Jets. No New Flights.
5. Contact your elected officials: (Click here for tips to maximize your message). Phone numbers:
Congressman Rick Larsen (202) 225-2605 and (425) 252-3188
Senator Patty Murray (202) 224-2621, (206) 553-5545, (425) 259-6515
Senator Maria Cantwell (202) 224-3441 and (206) 220-2605
Congressman Derek Kilmer (202) 225-5916
Governor Jay Inslee (360) 902-4111
Representative Adam Smith (202) 225-8901, (425) 793-5180
Send emails to elected officials to say No New Jets, No New Flights (click here for tips to maximize your message)
Congressman Rick Larsen
Senator Patty Murray
Senator Maria Cantwell
Representative Derek Kilmer
Governor Jay Inslee
6. Get 10 friends to make calls and send emails to our elected officials. Involve your friends on Whidbey, the Olympic Peninsula, Fidalgo and in Seattle, Bellevue, Renton, Bellingham and beyond. Use your social media to encourage friends to contact their congress people.
8. Host a postcard writing party and/or attend a screening of Plane Truths and Hear Our Olympics. We have a supply of postcards printed with our campaign message of ‘No New Jets, No New Flights’; host a postcard writing party for your friends/community/neighborhood to write personal messages for our elected officials. Add a viewing of Plane Truths or Hear Our Olympics to help others understand the complexities involved with increased flight operations on Whidbey Island. Contact Lauren@SoundDefenseAlliance.org to coordinate making this happen.
9. Share this list and other SDA materials in your networks at your church, gym, book club, etc and explain why it’s a good idea to stay informed and take action.
10. DONATE to the Sound Defense Alliance or send your gift to Sound Defense Alliance, PO Box 373, Coupeville, WA, 98239
Social media tips & tricks:
LIKE our page – you can like our page as an individual profile and as any business page you may have
SHARE our page – Share our page on your newsfeed. You can also invite your friends by clicking the three dots below our page image and selecting “invite friends”.
LIKE OUR POSTS – whenever you like one of our posts, it appears in your feed and puts us on your friends radars
SHARE OUR POSTS – share our posts by hitting the ‘share’ button beneath the post. You can share to your personal profile, page or in a group.
POST TO OUR PAGE – make a post to our page. We often sift through our member posts to repost on our feed. Post a 1-2 minute video about how current operations affect your life.
TAG US in stories and discussions that you think are useful for us to know about.
TAG OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS – tag them in any our posts that you share and any posts that you make regarding the expansion. Everything helps! Find them at: Maria Cantwell , Patty Murray, Jay Inslee, Rick Larsen
FOLLOW us on Instagram
TAG US in posts
SHARE our posts using a repost app or by taking a screenshot of our images and adding your message
TAG OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS – @maria.cantwell_ @senpattymurray @govinslee @repricklarsen
HASHTAGS – always use our campaign hashtag #NoNewJetsNoNewFlights in all posts. Copy and paste the tags below to add to your posts:
#planetruths #pivottoasia #militaryexercises #militaryexpansion #noisepollution #militarysociology #militarypollution #whidbeyisland #sanjuans #pacificnorthwest #washingtonstate #educationalmedia #librarymedia #fridayharbor #pugetsound #washington #olympicpeninsula #fidalgo #porttownsend #anacortes #coupeville #camanoisland #lopezisland #portangeles #islandcounty #nature #nonewjetsnonewflights